Thursday, April 18, 2013

Not such a good idea

Last week I told you about my Celtic inspiration and I have been tossing around with several ideas. Finally I thought I found a solution to my oh so pressing problem.

Not such a good idea by Landanna 

Found some textile paint hidden in my draw and I thought I: Yes! With a pen I copied the drawing on a piece of tablecloth cotton, after than I coloured the symbol and followed the instructions. 

Not such a good idea by Landanna

After that I happily took my needle with a thin black cotton thread and started working. Everything went fine until I had to move the hoop. Somehow the paint had spread and was no longer neatly within the lines of my drawing. :((

Therefore I offer you today two pictures filled with promise but unfortunately I have to start over again. Does anyone have an idea? 

Enjoy your day and I hold my fingers crossed that all goes well for your project.

Elizabeth

3 comments:

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that paint bleeding out and ruining your work! How frustrating and annoying!

How was the fixing/mordanting to be made? With heat/ironing? Was the cotton fabric all new or had you pre-washed it?

I guess what we all will learn from this is that always, always take the time to test the colours first before entering the adventure of a real project - but of course I would have been just as spontaneous as you were!

For this kind of small areas to colour I would probably have chosen a coloured permanent marker - they are pretty reliable, even if they aren't specially aimed for textiles!

I wish you better luck with your second go.

Maggi said...

What a sham as it looks so dimensional too. It is possibly the loos weave of the fabric that allows the paint to spread. I would also suggest trying to fix the paint before sewing. You could also try using watercolour pencils, something like Derwent Inktense but putting it on using a brush and not directly from the pencil itself. Another thing to try would be to do the painting after you have done the stitching. I think the only way to be sure is to do some test samples. I hope you manage to find a way around it.

Zuzana said...

My dear Elizabeth, I can not see anything wrong here, I guess that just shows how incompetent I am in embroidery. To me this looks stunning.;) Love that emerald green color.
Thank you for your visit, your comments just came minutes before I scrolled down to visit you.;) I am a bit anxious about the change ahead, but i guess i am a master of changes at this point.;)
Have likewise a grand weekend with your family and lets pray for some sun and warmth and less wind, the roof is still shaking from the gusts as I write this.;)
xoxo