Over the summer I made a hat with the nålebinding technique. My first attempt failed because it was too small, my second attempt was too big but since it had to be felted this wasn't a problem. This hat was made without any instructions and therefore I just could keep my fingers crossed that it would work out.
Here you can see how much it felted, the hat rests on the same helmet as in the first picture. The helmet helped to keep the shape while it was drying. Hardly anything stitches of the process are left to be seen which is a bit unfortunate but it became a lovely warm hat for the winter and that's what counts.
This morning I started experimenting, don't worry nothing that will shock the world but I had fun with strips of fabric. I twisted and pinned them on a piece of cloth, took a long cotton thread and weaved my way through the layer of strips. Took the pins out and enjoyed my view for a while.
Decided to back it with a piece of fabric to hide the ends. A lovely square appeared. At first I thought Oh this could become a pocket but when finished I thought what if I made a fair number of these blocks and sewed them together? If I'll do that I will get a lovely soft blanket of sorts. Hmm, really like that idea but is my stash large enough?
The first book is called Pictorial weavings from the viking age by Sofie Krafft. In the book you can find drawings and patterns of textiles from the Oseberg vikingship. This ship was found in a large burial mound in Oseberg, Norway in early 1900's. If you want to read more about this find than you can do that here.
The second book is called Twelve British embroiderers by Diana Springall. The fun thing is that it is a English-Japanse book which I found in the Danish library and read by me, the Dutch girl. This made me smile but the book has also very interesting examples of embroidery.
There is one small problem though, I found some lovely stitches but the explanation is in Japanese and so I don't know their names. Made a collage of these stitches and if you know any of their names you are more than welcome to share!
With these ingredients I made a Hankie-book, a kinda of a detour of the Doodle, gather, create-class of Karen.
Ofcourse it all started with a doodle of one of my favorite rock-carving
and ofcourse also some embroidery on paper.
Since hankies are very popular at the moment at Karen's place I gave things my own twist although it also combined male and female energy.
I enjoyed the company of my snoregaffel big time in this project. On the left you can see the result of a woollen cord made by the lucet, after that the nålebinding technique made this big tie. A strong tie that binds female and male together.
I made a little video so you can see the whole project.